The most popular continuous delivery solution is Jenkins because of its versatility and active community. Since February 2018, Jenkins has grown to more than 165,000 active installations and an estimated 1.65 million users worldwide.
As a DevOps Engineer, you must become proficient in this preeminent tool, Jenkins. Earning Jenkins certification lets Jenkins engineers demonstrate their level of expertise and skill. A few of the questions about Jenkins during job interviews are listed here.
- What is Jenkins?
Jenkins is an open-source server for automating tasks and executing commands.
- Why set up Jenkins?
You can set up Jenkins to watch for code changes in GitHub, Bitbucket, or even GitLab and automatically build your application using Maven and Gradle tools.
- Is Jenkins a CI or CD?
Jenkins, initially developed by Kohsuke for continuous integration (CI), now orchestrates the complete software delivery pipeline, often known as continuous delivery (CD).
- What is the use of Jenkins in deployment?
Jenkins provides good support for providing continuous deployment and delivery.
- What do you know about continuous integration?
Continuous Integration (CI) is a development strategy that requires developers to integrate code into a shared repository numerous times each day.
- What is the prerequisite for using Jenkins?
To use Jenkins, you’ll need:
- An accessible source code repository, such as a Git repository
- In the repository, there must be a working build script, such as a Maven script
- What are the features of Jenkins?
- It is open-source and free.
- The community and documentation are outstanding.
- Comprehensive Plugins and integrations.
- Simple installation and use on any platform because of its Java-based architecture.
- What are the types of Jenkins pipelines?
There are two types of Jenkins pipelines: Declarative pipelines and Scripted pipelines.
- What are the benefits of Jenkins?
Continuously monitoring a big codebase in real-time is done with Jenkins. It allows programmers to detect and solve flaws in their code.
- Can you tell me what Hudson and Jenkins are?
Hudson was the original name and the current version of Jenkins.
- In Jenkins, how do you generate a backup and copy files?
If you wish to generate a backup of your Jenkins setup, copy the directory that stores all Jenkins settings, build artifacts, and logs into its home directory. You can copy a job directory to clone or replicate a task or rename it.
- What are some of the most popular Jenkins plugins?
The most sought-after plugins are Green Balls, Join, Amazon EC2, Copy Artifact, Maven 2 Project, and Git.
- Is Jenkins just available for Java applications?
Jenkins is an open-source Java-based server.
- What is Jenkinsfile?
In its simplest form, a Jenkinsfile is a text file that contains the steps for executing a Jenkins Pipeline and is registered in a project’s source control repository.
- Where does Jenkins fit in the DevOps process?
DevOps combines software development (Dev) with IT operations (Ops) to simplify and shorten the development lifecycle by delivering builds, fixes, and upgrades regularly. Jenkins plays a vital part in this integration because it automates the development, test, and deployment processes, making it a valuable tool.
- What is Groovy?
Apache’s Groovy is a Java-based programming language. It is Jenkins’ native scripting language. Jenkins is enhanced by Groovy-based plugins, which provide great user interfaces and dynamic and reliable build reports.
- What SCM tools do Jenkins support?
Jenkins supports SVN, Clearcase, CVS, Git, AccuRev, Perforce, RTC, and Mercurial Source Code Management (SCM) tools.
- What is a Jenkins job?
When working with the Jenkins automation server and other relevant plugins, configurations, and infrastructures, a job/project is the essential unit of logical work (such as a software build or an automation task).
- When integrating Maven with Jenkins, what are the advantages?
The build management tool, Maven, once integrated with Jenkins, Maven Webdriver will build the project and run all tests fast.
- What are Jenkins parameters?
The Agent section handles parameters, and they are used to support multiple use-case pipelines.
- What are the two main components Jenkins is integrated with?
Jenkins relies on two primary components, namely version systems and builds tools.
- Tell me about what Maven is?
Apache Software Foundation introduced Maven, a build management tool, which provides a comprehensive foundation for the build cycle.
- How does Agent Directive work?
The agent directive tells Jenkins how and where to run the complete pipeline, based on the location specified in the directive.
- Say a few lines about flow control in Jenkins?
Flow control supports a pipeline structure (scripted pipeline) to execute the Jenkins file from top to bottom.
- Describe how to create a backup and copy files in Jenkins?
It is recommended that you regularly make a backup of the Jenkins HOME directory. You should replicate the job directory to copy a Jenkins job.
- How do you define the parameters for a build for Jenkins?
To define parameters for your job, first, you need to determine the same while specifying the parameter. There are different parameter types like string, file, or custom.
- What is the build pipeline in Jenkins?
A build pipeline is an entity that you use to design your automated build pipeline.
- What do you understand from a Jenkins File?
Jenkins files are text files that include a Jenkins Pipeline definition. It is often checked into source control.
- How do you clone a Git repository via Jenkins?
Enter the email and username for your Jenkins system to clone the Git repository via Jenkins. Switching into your job directory and using the “git config” command will accomplish this.
- What do you know about Jenkins Shared Library?
Libraries that can be used by more than one pipeline task and that can be maintained separately are called shared libraries.
Because Jenkins is also an essential tool in DevOps, the above-mentioned interview questions are asked during the Jenkins Software Configuration Management and DevOps interview. Beginners, professionals, and job seekers looking for a good opportunity or a technical position in Jenkins can refer to the real-time Jenkins interview questions listed in this article.